Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Good Afternoon everyone! Hope the day is going well for all of you! I haven't posted for a while because I have been procrastinating since I have so much to write! The last time I posted I was getting ready to travel to Rishikesh for the weekend. It was a great trip! I was invited to go by Allison's friend Luis, who is a Marine stationed here. We went with Joty (a new girl at the house from California) and Luis' friends Nora and Adrian. We had some difficulty getting there. We got caught in a flood and behind a landslide so it took us a little longer than expected, but it was still worth the 12 hour drive! We spent the first night at a hotel in at the base of the Himalayas since the landslide blocked our way up. The next morning a few workers at the hotel came and picked us up and brought us to our hotel. It was beautiful. It was a cottage in the middle of the Himalayas, about half way up a mountain. We got settled in, ate lunch, and set off for a hike! Our tour guide brought us a little further up the mountain and then a good distance across. We found a waterfall that was not part of the tour but we decided that we wanted to climb it anyway. The whole tour took about 4 hours. I will post picture of it right after this! That night we ate dinner and then had a bonfire outside the cottage. In the morning we got up and had a yoga session at 9, since Rishikesh is the yoga capital of the world! After breakfast we packed up at headed back down to Rishikesh. We spent the day there sightseeing and walking along the Ganges river. We had planned to go rafting but the water level was still very dangerous and we were not allowed to go. We got back very late Tuesday night and headed straight to bed. Wednesday we spent the day cleaning, doing laundry, and catching up on sleep from the weekend. Thursday Joty and I went to the Charitable hospital to work. It was not very busy so there was not much to do. We were able to watch a few x-rays being taken and then we sat in the pharmacy and assisted there for a while. After work we went to the market nearby. It is the largest in the area. Right now I am helping Justin and Dr. Bandhu look for new projects to work at. They found one other hospital where Dr. Bandhu knows the Doctor in charge there. Her name is Meena Kapoor and she is a gynocologist. I had a lot more work to do there, which was great. First they needed me to clean and roll gloves. After I finished that I was able to watch quite a few ultrasounds. I was also taught how to examine a pregnant woman to check the vitals of the baby. I was supposed to watch a tubectomy but it was rescheduled. I was introduced to the Pediatrition there and was able to help him for a while. I sat with him and watch and help with his exams. After they were finished, I completed his rounds with him and then it was time to go home. Yesterday Justin gave me a little Hindi lesson and taught me to count to ten and Indu (one of the girls living in the other section of the house) taught me to write my name in Hindi. We taught the girls in the house a few card games and we usually talk with them and play cards after dinner. They love phase 10! We have played that two nights in a row. Tomorrow Allison and I will be going to Delhi to see Luis and Adrian before they leave. They both transfer posts on Monday morning. Right now I am headed to get the mouse out of our room (Hopefully!!!) and go to sleep! I will post pictures of the floods and the Himalayas soon! Have a great rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment